|Poof! You're Dead|
|Season 3, Episode 12|
|Air date||January 10, 2011|
|Written by||Terri Miller|
|Directed by||Millicent Shelton|
Richard Castle and Kate Beckett investigate the murder of the owner of a historic magic shop found dead in a Houdini's water torture tank. Meanwhile, Lanie and Esposito struggle to keep their relationship secret and Castle ends his relationship with Gina.
|This recap is incomplete or need worked and requires expanding. No using copyright material.|
A woman opens a magic shop and starts setting up and opening a curtain, only to see a dead man in the torture tank and scream.
In an apartment, a couple lay naked on the floor together, when someone's phone ring and Lanie gets up to pick it up, claming she has to leave, and another phone rings and it was Esposito, who has to leave too. They kiss, Esposito gets up, and Lanie told him not to look, smile, or wink at her at the crime scene. Esposito takes a photo of naked Lanie, agrees, and left the room, leaving Lanie, looking at his naked toned body, and sighing and falling to the floor, flustered.
Castle, walking to the crime scene, was on the phone with Gina, his ex-wife/girlfriend/publisher, and arguing. Esposito shows up as he hung up, asking how he was. Castle stated to him never sleep with a co-worker. Esposito, stunned, asked what did he mean. Castle told him that it doesn't end well. Esposito asked who knows, and Castle said that everyone knows, just as Beckett shows up, asking what everyone knows, and Castle and Esposito just said "Nothing".
- Nathan Fillion as Richard Castle
- Stana Katic as Detective Kate Beckett
- Jon Huertas as Detective Javier Esposito
- Seamus Dever as Detective Kevin Ryan
- Tamala Jones as Dr. Lanie Parish
- Ruben Santiago-Hudson as Captain Roy Montgomery
- Molly Quinn as Alexis Castle
- Susan Sullivan as Martha Rodgers
- Jeffrey Hephner as Edmund Drake/Zalman Drake
- Brett Cullen as Christian Dahl
- Vanessa Lengies as Eliza Winter
- Chadwick Boseman as Chuck Russell
- Carrie Genzel as Naomi Dahl
- Lenny Schmidt as Jerome Aspenall
- Adrian Sparks as Thaddeus Magnus
- Gilles Marini as Magician Tobias Strange
- Henry Hayashi as Lawyer
- Lanie: Javier Esposito, when we get to this crime scene, do not wink at me, do not smile and do not even look at me with those puppy dog eyes. Got it?
- Castle: I never pegged you for a magic fan. You know any good tricks?
- Beckett: I do this one thing. With ice cubes.
- Castle: Hey, X-ray specs. Got ‘em at the magic shop. I can see you naked.
- Beckett: Really? How do you like my navel ring?
- Beckett: Zalman Drake was murdered last night.
- Jerome Aspinall: Justice is served. (Bangs fist on table in celebration)
- Castle: (after exchanging looks with Beckett) When he read your mind, did it take . . him . . very long?
- Jerome Aspinall: No, it didn't, no.
- Castle: No, didn't think so.
- Beckett: Alakazam, Jackass.
- Lanie: That...was close.
- Esposito: No, this... (pulls Lanie in for a kiss as she smiles) is close.
- Lanie: Mm. (she and Esposito kiss)
- "Loaded" - Zack Tempest (plays during Tobias Strange's first rehearsal).
- Castle and Gina break up in this episode. Although the relationship began at the end of season two, Gina appeared only once after they got together.
- As with the episode where they get together, a recurring theme is Castle ignoring repeated calls from Gina.
- Lanie and Esposito are now romantically involved. They believe the relationship to be a secret.
- We happen to see Lanie's apartment for the first time, briefly.
- Beckett reveals to Castle that her grandfather was an amateur magician and that she and him visited Drake's Magic Shop every Sunday when she was about thirteen years old.